[IDV #UNX-198008]: grib2 data appears to be missing, but it's not

Hi Becky-

Never mind the bundle, I figured it out.

> We got a report from a McIDAS-V user that their loop of grib2 data
> showed missing data, even though the file has no missing data.  Here's a
> link to the loop he sent -
> http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/model/realtime/cras45_NA/grib2/
>
> We were able to duplicate this in both McIDAS-V and the nightly build of
> IDV.  Any idea what's going on?

the problem is that there are missing points in the u component of
the wind field, so when absolute vorticity is calculated at those
points, the values end up as missing since there is no u component.
I'm not sure how McIDAS fills in the gaps at the grid points, but it
seems to me that if you don't have wind values at a point, you can't
calculate the vorticity.   I am surprised that there are vectors plotted
at some of the points with a missing v, though.  Although that might
be due to a weighted average sampling somewhere along the way.

Attached is a plot of the wind vectors over the absolute vorticity field
overlain with the vector vield and value plots of the u (top) and v (bottom)
components.  Notice that the holes line up with the areas where there
are missing u values.

So, the question is why are there gaps in the  u wind field.  Is it in
the data or a problem in the grib decoding layer?  I'll look a little
closer at the data tomorrow, but if you have investigate on your end
also, that would help.  It would be interesting to know what McIDAS
does with missing data.

> Here are screen shots of McV, McX, and -X output of grid statistics from
> the GRDINFO command.  If you'd like to grab it, I put the grib2 file in
> ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/20080712.00z.cras45_NA.grib2

Does McIDAS ignore missing values when it plots the statistics?

> I think that's everything, but let me know if you need any more
> information from me.

Don

Ticket ID: UNX-198008
Department: Support IDV