[IDV #RRP-441625]: Strange IDV/Xvfb behavior

Hi Samuel-

> No problem checking this, glad to be of help.
>
> I don't understand why any drivers would come into play at all, since Xvfb is
> supposed to be used for 'headless' displays, or computers that cannot display
> a window.  I am only using Xvfb for batch purposes.  I don't want IDV to
> display on any VDT on the local machine (shu.cup.edu)

In the end, Java 3D makes OpenGL calls. Xvfb uses a specific version
of the GL library.  The older version of Java 3D that you were using
with the first install, should be compatible with the GL that Xvfb uses.
The newer one that you just tried needs OpenGL 1.3 and last I knew,
Xvfb only supported OpenGL 1.2.  However, I would suspect a warning
or error, not a crash.

> I don't mind giving them the bundle/isl script to run, but will they know how
> to run them?
>
> Well, I'll give them the script/bundle, and see what happens.

Thanks.  My system upgrade did not go well, and I'm only now at
a point where I can test things.  I'll try to work on this tomorrow.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RRP-441625
Department: Support IDV