[IDV #RRP-441625]: Strange IDV/Xvfb behavior

Hi Samuel-

Thanks for checking this.

> I get the following when I run IDV with 3D support:
> [weatherctr@shu 1km]$ /home/kauffman/IDV/runIDV
> /home/kauffman/bundles/GOES_East/1km/kpit.isl
> Mon Jul 14 16:41:13 EDT 2008: Loading bundle:
> /home/kauffman/bundles/GOES_East/1km/bundles/kpit.xidv
> Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
> GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
> The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
> ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
> version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
> run anyway.
> JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality
> JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality
> JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality

This I expected.  ATI drivers are problematic.

> I have a simultaneous terminal window open running Xvfb, and this is what I
> get when I run Xvfb:
> [weatherctr@shu 1km]$ /usr/bin/Xvfb :3 -screen 3 1280x1024x24 -fbdir /var/tmp
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> I have enclosed an image of what 'xwud -in /var/tmp/Xvfb_screen3' produces.

This I didn't expect since it appears to be the same as what happens
with the older version of Java 3D.  We'll see what Red Hat support says.
I said that you could provide them with the bundle and isl script to test.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RRP-441625
Department: Support IDV