[SupportPlaza #XHB-589294]: Question from NZ

Hi Mike-

> Your program is useful for visualising WRF output - thanks. However I am
> having trouble accounting for the staggered grid system in WRF. I cannot seem
> to match U and V (or W) with an axis system. (I can plot U10 and V10 ok but
> this is because these field have been unstaggered.) Is there anyway to
> plot/animate U and V (and W) fields for a layer or in 3D?

You should be able to plot the U, V and W wind components or
vectors of these in combination (although  the latter will
be slow, see below).

- what version of the IDV are you using?

- what happens when you try to plot these?  Do you get an
error?

- what's the vertical coordinate for these grids?  Is the
the WRF Eta coordinate?

When doing vector plots, the IDV resamples the V components to
the U domain. With the staggered grids, this ends up being
memory and compute intensive.  Generally, we suggest running
some WRF post process program (e.g. WRF-POST or convert to
Vis5D format), but we understand users wanting the native grid
coordinates.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: XHB-589294
Department: Support IDV