[IDV #EEG-141630]: help in plotting topo data

Hi Leela,
> Description of problem: I am trying to display 30 arc second elevation data
> from USGS.
> From what I undersatnd, this is DEM data which is an accepted format for IDV.
> However, when I try to plot this data I get the following error message:
>
> Reading DEM: C:\Documents and Settings\watson.leela\Desktop\w140n40.tar.gz
> Data object "C:\Documents and Settings\watson.leela\Desktop\w140n40.tar.gz"
> not compatible with "dem" data family
>
> Note: I have tried unzipping and untarring the file with the same result.

The USGS has a number of DEM formats and the IDV does not read all of them.
There is some documentation about DEM data in the IDV from the GEON project:
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_for_GEON_topo.html

-Jeff

Ticket ID: EEG-141630
Department: Support IDV