[IDV #GWF-940554]: IDV - point data text files

Hi Alan,

> Hi guys,
> I'm trying to import some data that I got from ncdc.
> http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/CDO/cdomarinedata.cmd
> There are several issues with it, but it would be nice if I could somehow
> manage to plot
> the data without having to import it all inot a spreadsheet to make  changes.

The error was from the
miss="   "
and is a problem with our parsing. You don't need to specify a blank as
missing, we just assume
its missing if nothing is there.

Another couple of points - In the second line of your header you reference a
"SIGN" parameter
but in the first line you have an "ID". Also, as you noted your lat/lon needs a
scale factor. Below is the correct header:

(Time,Latitude,Longitude,ID(Text),WDIR,WSPD,slp,ATMP,SST,WvDr,WvPs,WvHs)
Time[fmt="yyyyMMdd HHmm" colspan="2"],Latitude[unit="deg"
scale="0.01"],Longitude[unit="deg" scale="0.01"],skip[colspan="8"],
ID(Text),skip[colspan="2"],WDIR[unit="deg" ],skip[],WSPD[unit="m/s"
],skip[colspan="4"],slp[unit="mb"],skip[colspan="3"],ATMP[unit="celsius"],skip[colspan="5"],SST[unit="celsius"],skip[colspan="7"],WvDr[unit="deg"
 ],WvPs[unit="s" ],WvHs[unit="m" ]

> I've attached a sample of the first couple dozen lines.
>
> Questions:
> The time format. Date and time are in 2 comma-separated columns. OK?
Yes, the colspan takes care of that.

> The time part is in decimal hours, without the decimal (e.g., 0065). How do I
> handle this?

What do you mean by decimal hours? What is 0065?

> there are lots of fields that I don't care about. Can I apply the colspan
> attribute to skip?
> e.g., skip[colspan="6"]
Yes (which was new to me).

We have made a number of fixes to the text point data code recently You should
try this with the nightly
build:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/index.jsp

-Jeff