[IDV #NSH-540944]: IDV - Globe View - circular topology with longitudes

Hi Patrick-

> >> Institution: IPSL
> >> Package Version: 2.3 build date:2007-08-15 19:04 UTC
> >> Operating System: Linux
> >> Hardware Information: Java: home: /usr/share/IDV_2.3/jre version: 1.5.0_11
> >> j3d:1.5.1 fcs (build6)
> >> Inquiry: Hi,
> >> I would like to know how to have a circular topology from the coordinate
> >> variable longitude ?
> >> For now, I have a gap.
> >>

> > The only way to do this would be to repeat the first coordinate.
> > Otherwise, there is no relation between the first and last points
> > so there is no data displayed beyond the last point.
> >
> Thanks
> I have done this easilly using ferret. It works, I have continuous
> coutour lines  over the globe.
> Could this modulo aspect be taken into account automatically by IDV in
> Global View mode ?

The IDV is generally view agnostic, so doesn't really know that
we are in a  Globe view versus a Map View.  I'll think about this
issue though. We run into the same issue with radar displays connecting
0 degree azimuth with 359 azimuth.  There we use the solution above.

> Another point not clear. Is a 3D topography possible with Global View ?
> I have not been able to create a 3D topography or map a 2D variable over
> a 3D topography
> when using Global View. Do you have examples to provide ?

The current release does not support this.  But since the code
was there for the map display, I added it in for the globe and
it will be available in tomorrow's nightly build and the next
release.  Thanks for pointing out that omission.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: NSH-540944
Department: Support IDV