[IDV #WRY-586577]: IDV - Error loading MADIS METARS

Hi Bill-

> This MADIS issue just doesn't make sense to me - it seems to recognize the
> observations are there when I identify the data source but then returns the
> Java error. At first I thought the error might be due to the fact I was
> running MetWise Net at the same time and it was using Java but even after I
> closed MetWise Net and rebooted I got the same error in IDV. IDV is handling
> my GRIB files okay from our local WRF model runs, but I really need to plot
> the obs with the model output for verification for the task we're working on.
> I started using GrADS for this task but wanted higher resolution maps so made
> the move to IDV - much better than GrADS!

Our support for netCDF point observations files is limited at the
moment and you've uncovered one of the limitations.  There's some
work being done by the netCDF-Java folks to provide better support,
but that's a slow process.  When you read in the data source, it just
reads the metadata and says - hey, I know how to handle this!  But
the error is occurring when it actually tries to read in the data.
For some reason, the station information is coming up as null.   This
worked at some point, but I guess we haven't tested in a while.  The
person who knows this data best is out until next week, so I might
not have a solution until then.

Glad to hear the IDV is useful to you.  Hope to see you in December.

Don

Ticket ID: WRY-586577
Department: Support IDV