[IDV #MLR-743797]: IDV on 64 bit linux

Hi Ralph-

> My apologies if this is covered elsewhere in the FAQs/mailing lists - I
> have checked, honestly!

Thanks for checking first.  I don't think you missed anything.

> I am trying to setup IDV on a 64-bit Cray XT4 machine under linux, and
> it "nearly" works....but then hangs during initialisation. The error
> messages are detailed below. It seems like it is a problem with the 64
> bit aspect.
>
> I would be very grateful if you had any ideas about how to install IDV
> on this architecture, as we use IDV a lot and are currently installing a
> lot of software on the new HECTOR supercomputer here in the UK. We would
> like IDV on there too as it is so useful!

We don't have any experience using the IDV on the 64 bit system.  It
looks like you are using the Java that is from the installer which is
32bit.  I would try using a 64 bit version of Java and Java 3D.   You
can download Java for 64 bit Linux:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281

and Java 3D from:

https://java3d.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html

You would then need to change the runIDV script to not look in the
local jre directory, but instead look for Java wherever you installed
it.

Let me know if you need more info.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MLR-743797