[IDV #TAF-304069]: changing datasets

Hi Bill-

> I would like to 'convert' an existing bundle that uses model data from a
> netcdf  dataset to a grib1 dataset, without recreating all of the
> displays from scratch.

Sounds like a reasonable request.

> I didn't see a suggested method, so I tried the following. I saved the
> bundle again with the check box enabled that lets the user change the
> dataset. When the bundle is opened, it prompts for a new url to the
> dataset, however, I was not sure what to use instead of the default:
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dqc/latestModel-InvCat1.0?nam_21
> 1   .
>
> I restarted the IDV, loaded the dataset I want to use, saved a bundle
> with the check box enabled to change the dataset, started over, opened
> the bundle, and noted the default was:
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/model/NCEP/NAM/CONUS_80k
> m/latest.xml . So, I tried this url in the earlier bundle. When it
> finished displaying, I checked the data details to see what happened,
> and it appeared to use the netcdf dataset.

Your cleverness never ceases to amaze me.  In theory, this should work
provided:

1) The parameter names are the same in the netCDF and GRIB files
2) the code allowed it. ;-)

I this case, both of these are false.   So, even it the code did
work (which it will tomorrow), the parameter names are different so
when it goes to create the displays, it can't find the parameters it
needs.

> Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to accomplish this ?

Try this instead:

- Load in your bundle.
- Save it off as a new bundle, but uncheck the Data Sources checkbox
under the "What should be saved?" section of the dialog.
- Remove all displays and data
- Load in the new GRIB data source
- Load in the new bundle, but in the dialog that pops up, select
the "Don't remove all displays and data" (or if you are running the
nightly build, just uncheck the box).  If you have your preference set
to not prompt you when you load in bundles, set that preference again
before loading in the bundle.  As it tries to create each display, you
will be prompted for the new field.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Don

Ticket ID: TAF-304069
Department: Support IDV