[Support #AWI-886565]: spatial subset while using formulas

Alan-

In the latest nightly release, you can now subset the data from
formulas.  If you are daring, check it out and let us know if you
find any problems.

BTW, if you want consistent regional selection for all fields,
subsetting at the Data Source level is best.

Don

> > I've been using IDV working on this tropical cyclone project to plot up
> > some climatologic data. I've been plotting wind vectors and such for the
> > atlantic using the u and v components from the ncar/ncep reanalysis. So
> > far, so good. It all works. What I've noticed is that while I can subset
> > the data geographically if I'm plotting a single field (say temperature)
> > in the reanalysis data, it doesn't appear that I can do the same when
> > I'm selecting data for a formula (like wind barbs or layer wind shear).
> > So when I plot these fields, it appears that IDV is grabbing the global
> > data set and running the claculations.
> >
> > Am I missing something? Is it poosible to subset the data before
> > applying the formula?
>
> You can subset the data at the Data Source level.  In the Field Selector,
> right click (or double click) on the name of the particular data source.
> For grids, you'll see a Spatial Subset tab.  Set the region you want
> (and/or the  stride) which will apply to all fields in the grid.
> If this is what you are doing and it's not working, let me know.
>
> > If not, then somewhere down the line, it might be
> > nice to be able to subset the data when applying a formula.
>
> Yes, that's on our todo list and fairly high.  Not sure when we'll
> get to it though.
>
> > Other than that, it's been working great! (even then, it doesn't add
> > much time to bring up the display, except when I first load the bundle).
>
> BTW, it's best to send questions like this to address@hidden
> instead  of me directly.  That way, Jeff and I both see them.
>
> Don

Ticket ID: AWI-886565
Department: Support IDV