[IDV #WIK-167810]: IDV - display scale for cross-section

Hi Kris-

> Thanks Don, I appreciate the info here.  I might have been a bit unclear
> in my initial explanation/request though.  I am trying to make a
> publication quality figure (see attached). I have a nice potential temp
> cross section with vertical velocities in a shared display.  I'd really
> like the reader to see how high my cross section extends...it would be
> ideal of a vertical scale could be included on the left side of the
> x-sect.  Currently, the vertical scale is only found on the edge of the
> wireframe box, which doesn't really work for me in this situation, as I
> like the zoom level I've selected here.  Is there a way to satisfy my
> needs, with existing IDV functionality?

Unfortunately, not at present.  That would be a nice enhancement.  If we
were to add labels to the Location Indicator so you could move it where
ever you want, I think that would be the best bet.  But for now,
Photoshop is a wonderful thing. ;-)

> Also, the cross section handle seems to be located 3/4 of the way up the
> x-sect here...is there a way to put it at the very top, such that it
> doesn't cut across my plot?

I'm not sure if it's in the version you have, but in the latest releases,
you can set the level of the cross section line using the slider in the
Settings tab of the Cross section control.  However, it's limited to the
extent of the "box" so if your data extends beyond the box, then you
can adjust the vertical scale using the View->Viewpoint->Vertical Scale
menu.  If your version doesn't have the slider, the cross section line
is at the top of the box, so just adjust the vertical scale.

> Lastly, font sizes/type for color scale labels and display scales...are
> these adjustable somewhere?

Not a present, but it's on the todo list.

> BTW, I am using URW Gothic L with a 14 size for display labels...not
> sure when or how I picked this, but yes it does have a nice look.

What type graphics card does your system have.

> Thanks very much!  Tom Whittaker suggested that you and your folks need
> the feedback/questions, so if I'm bugging you too much, blame him!

We do want your feedback and input.  That's the way the IDV improves.

Don

> >>Institution: CIMSS
> >>Package Version: 2.2b2 build date:2007-03-16 22:15 UTC
> >>Operating System: Linux
> >>Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/krisb/IDV_2.1/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> >>j3d:1.3.1
> >>Inquiry: See attached image, I'm trying to look at a potential temperature
> >>cross-section with 3-D topography,vertical velocity, and simulated
> >>satellite brightness temperatures.  I'd like to have the vertical scale at
> >>the end of
> >>my cross-section, so when I zoom in on the x-sect, I'd like to see what
> >>height
> >>a given feature is located.  It always appears at the edge of the wireframe
> >>box, outside
> >>of my view.  I know the x-sect also appears in another display window with
> >>a good vertical
> >>scale, but I'd like to integrate all of the visualizations in one image.
> >>Is there a way
> >>to do this?
> >>

> >If you want to find the location of a particular feature interactively, you
> >could use the location indicator control which can be opened by clicking the
> >little three axis icon in the toolbar, or by using the
> >Displays->Special->Location Indicator menu.  This provides you with three
> >axes
> >that you can move around in the horizontal and vertical.   See the user guide
> >section on this control:
> >
> >http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/controls/misc/LocationIndicatorControl.html
> >
> >Under the Display tab for the control, you could turn on the bearing point.
> >Using the control key and dragging with the left mouse button pressed will
> >give
> >you a readout of the distance from the origin.  If you set the vertical
> >line below the feature you want and set the origin at the bottom of the
> >box, you will get a readout of the altitude.
> >
> >BTW, what font/size are you using for the display labels.  They look really
> >nice.
> >
> >Don Murray
> >

> >Ticket Details
> >Ticket ID: WIK-167810