[IDV #WIK-167810]: IDV - display scale for cross-section

Hi Kris-

> Institution: CIMSS
> Package Version: 2.2b2 build date:2007-03-16 22:15 UTC
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/krisb/IDV_2.1/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: See attached image, I'm trying to look at a potential temperature
> cross-section with 3-D topography,vertical velocity, and simulated
> satellite brightness temperatures.  I'd like to have the vertical scale at
> the end of
> my cross-section, so when I zoom in on the x-sect, I'd like to see what height
> a given feature is located.  It always appears at the edge of the wireframe
> box, outside
> of my view.  I know the x-sect also appears in another display window with a
> good vertical
> scale, but I'd like to integrate all of the visualizations in one image.  Is
> there a way
> to do this?

If you want to find the location of a particular feature interactively, you
could use the location indicator control which can be opened by clicking the
little three axis icon in the toolbar, or by using the
Displays->Special->Location Indicator menu.  This provides you with three axes
that you can move around in the horizontal and vertical.   See the user guide
section on this control:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/controls/misc/LocationIndicatorControl.html

Under the Display tab for the control, you could turn on the bearing point.
Using the control key and dragging with the left mouse button pressed will give
you a readout of the distance from the origin.  If you set the vertical
line below the feature you want and set the origin at the bottom of the
box, you will get a readout of the altitude.

BTW, what font/size are you using for the display labels.  They look really
nice.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: WIK-167810
Department: Support IDV