[IDV #EPX-595048]: IDV - reuse of data

Hi Donna-

> Yes, I see the problem now.  I am using the subset
> panel in the field selector.  I see now that after you
> request one field that the subset panel resets and you
> need to select it again.  I was assuming it stayed the
> same until I changed it.  Is there another way to do
> this?  You said something about doing this from Data
> Source properties.  I do not know how to do it this
> way.  Thus, I need to either ask for the entire
> domain, and get the data once, or ask for a subset
> domain and have it get the data twice.  I was trying
> to limit the size of my downloads but apparently this
> cannot easily be done.  I will do this all with
> bundles so everything is set beforehand.

After you load in the data source, double click on the entry for
it in the Data Source panel of the Field Selector (or right click
and select the Properties menu).  In the Data Source Properties
dialog, there is a tab labeled Spatial Subset. Click on that
and do the subsetting you want.  That sets the subsetting for all
parameters in the dataset, so you only have to do that once.

The subsetting in the lower right panel is on a per parameter basis
(so you can override the Data Source defaults if you want).  It will
show the subsetting that you set in the Data Source by default.

The weird thing is that I was sure I ran into the same problem using
the Data Source subsetting, but now can't recreate it.  Sorry this has
taken so long to get clear but at least we are on the same page.

> One other issue I have with data downloads is that it
> appears I lose the data when the computer is turned
> off.  Since the time data downloads take is an issue,
> I would rather not have to download the same data
> twice.  Thus, if I download the NAM the morning of the
> start, I don't want to have to download it again at
> the first stop.  Is there a way to get around this? I
> suppose I could put the computer on standby but I do
> risk running out of battery.

We've been working on one of the most requested (and stickiest)
issues for the IDV - saving data in bundles or locally.  We've made
some progress on this (you can save satellite and radar data), but
we need some work done on the THREDDS side to complete the grid stuff.

Even with that, it's a little tricky because ideally you'd want your
bundles to point to the server at some times and the local  data
at others.  For now, setting your laptop on hibernate might be the
way to go.

If you want to check this out, though, download the latest nightly build:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

and load in a RUC grid for a specific time (not the latest).  Right click
on the data source in the Field Selector and select the Make Data Source Local
menu. (if you want to spatially subset the data first,  use the Data Source
Properties dialog as above before you make it local).  You'll be prompted on
where to put the data and then be able to select the parameters you want to
download.  Once you do that, you can load in the fields using the local file.

You could then make bundles pointing to the local file.  Then, when you want
to get new data, load in the new data to the IDV, do the Make Data Local as
above and then use your bundles which point to the local file.

BTW, our plan is to make a stable 2.2 release in early May so if you have
any bugs or issues that you want cleared up for your race, now's the time
to chime in.

Don

Ticket ID: EPX-595048
Department: Support IDV