[IDV #CWX-725675]: IDV - Satellite Display Malfunction...

Hi Jacob-

> Institution: HOME
> Package Version: 2.2b3 build date:2007-03-28 07:04 UTC
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/idv/IDV_2.2b3/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: The problem does not occur often; however, sometimes I recieve a
> Satellite
> Display Malfunction where the Satellite Display becomes fuzzy within one
> Satellite scan.
> This issue began to occur about a month or two ago and
> it appears to only happen at night.  I cannot remember at time where it
> occured
> during the day.  It remains fuzzy for a while, maybe overnight, but I do not
> know the exact timing.  I have attached to this email, a couple images that
> compare
> a display with the malfunction to a display without the malfunction.  I
> basically
> took two snapshots during a 10-frame Satellite loop where one is fuzzy and
> the other
> is not.
> Thanks for your time and help; God Bless and Happy Easter.

Good eye!

This is a result of the semi-annual satellite eclipse (Spring and Fall).  During
the eclipse times, GOES-11 is being used to generate this image instead of
GOES-12.
So the data are on the edge of the field of view which gives it a washed out
look and there are also probably some calibration differences between the two
satellites.

You can see the eclipse schedule at:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/eclipse.html

Don Murray