[IDV #AZB-644807]: IDV - Error WRF contour plot BASE STATE PRESSURE

Hi Eric-

Unfortunately, color filled contours use a lot of memory at this point.
I'll talk to Tom Baltzer to see if he is willing to bump up the
default memory in the JNLP file.  Since each JNLP file points to
a different file, it would be a hassle for you to save it locally
and edit it.

Are you going to the NE Storm Conference this weekend?  I'll be
there so stop by my poster and say hi if you are there.

Don Murray

> <P>In the LEAD Portal, there is simply a "View" icon that is used to open IDV
> with the WRF output loaded in the field selector.&nbsp; I have attached a
> bundle containing 42-hour WRF output (5-km grid-spacing).&nbsp; I can't even
> display color-filled contours of 2-m temperature for all 42 hours because it
> looks like IDV&nbsp;runs out of memory (532/533/533 MB displayed at bottom
> left).&nbsp; The display initially appears, but then IDV just contains a
> blank map.&nbsp; I can't imagine trying to display a 3-D isosurface with this
> output.&nbsp; This may turn out to be a major problem.&nbsp; If I can figure
> out how to allot 1.5 GB RAM to IDV, it might solve some of the
> unresponsiveness of IDV that I have witnessed thus far; however, as you
> alluded to, this may be a difficult task since IDV starts with Java Web Start
> through the LEAD Portal.&nbsp; Thanks for helping.&nbsp; Hopefully the
> attached bundle with help.&nbsp; Please respond with any suggestions.</P>
> <P>Regards,</P>
> <P>Eric Meyers<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <B>On Wed Feb 28 7:59 , 'Unidata IDV Support' &lt;address@hidden&gt; sent:<BR>
> <BR>
> </P></B>
> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
> BORDER-LEFT: #f5f5f5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Hi Eric-<BR>
> <BR>
> <FONT color=red>&gt;
> <P>Thanks for the prompt response.&nbsp; To clarify, I was vigorously trying
> to display&nbsp;contours&nbsp;of MSLP from WRF output, but this seemingly
> trivial task proved&nbsp;more complicated than I had originally
> anticipated.&nbsp; I tried plotting contours of BASE STATE PRESSURE, but the
> default display was never&nbsp;obtained because of the error that I reported
> to you.&nbsp; I'll need to work with this unique WRF output (v. traditional
> NAM, GFS) more before I can resolve this issue regarding MSLP
> contours.&nbsp;</FONT><BR>
> <BR>
> The processing it will take to compute MSLP from the WRF grids in the<BR>
> IDV is not worth the trouble. The real solution is to have the WRF-POST<BR>
> as part of the LEAD workflow and have it calculate the standard variables<BR>
> and pressure levels that meteorologists are used to working with.<BR>
> <BR>
> Contours of 2-m temperature work fantastic, so&nbsp;the&nbsp;error I
> reported&nbsp;obviously resides in the model output, not necessarily in
> IDV.&nbsp; Maybe the BASE STATE PRESSURE is a constant, which would obviously
> make contouring this field virtually impossible.&nbsp; <BR>
> <BR>
> No, it's probably something else. :-(<BR>
> <BR>
> Thanks for the help, though.&nbsp; IDV's assisted me tremendously in my
> [...]

Ticket ID: AZB-644807
Department: Support IDV