[IDV #GLU-909903]: aircraft observations

Hi Mark,
This is Jeff.

> I have good news in that I have successfully been able to get the flight
> data from an Antarctic chemistry campaign into IDV.  It took some effort
> to find a couple mistakes that I had but now it works.

Good.

> I have one question regarding missing data.  When I plot up the
> flight-track (trajectory) data I have straight vertical lines (see
> attached image) going to the ground when it reaches a missing data point
> (the missing values are indicated as -99999).  I added the netCDF
> variable attribute valid_range and it did not change it.  I have added
> the netCDF variable attribute missing_value and it did not change it.
> Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get it so that it just
> doesn't plot missing values, removing the vertical lines?

I'm going to forward this question to the netcdf-java folks.

> I noticed in the alias editor that there are aliases for heading, pitch,
> and roll.  I am guessing there are some derived parameters which include
> these values.  In a message from a couple weeks ago you explained to me
> that the derived parameters are defined in the file derived.xml.  Where
> is this file located?  I am trying to figure out what derived parameters
> can make use of heading, pitch, and roll, as well as what additional
> variables I need to alias so that I can use the derived parameters.

We don't do anything with derived quantities for aircraft data. The
heading,pitch,
etc., aliases are there so some of the Layout Models that show a little aircraft
shape can rotate the shape wrt the heading, pitch and roll. The caveat is that
the rotations
are in X/Y/Z space, not lat/lon space.

Do you have need for formula like analysis capabilities for aircraft track data?

-Jeff

Ticket ID: GLU-909903
Department: Support IDV