[IDV #GLU-909903]: aircraft observations

Hi Mark-

> I have recently been notified that I am giving a meteorology talk for an
> atmospheric chemistry meeting where they have done field observations
> with aircraft observations.  I know that IDV has at times been used to
> display and analyze aircraft observations.  I am not entirely certain
> the data that I have has all that is necessary for such analysis, but I
> am trying to see what can be done.  Do you have any samples or rough
> documentation as to how aircraft analysis can be done in IDV?  I recall
> seeing it somewhere but I don't remember if that was in training or
> during a steering committee demonstration.  What is the best form to
> have my data?  Is it using CF convention for trajectories?

We have focused on the NCAR/RAF netCDF aircraft convention:

http://www.eol.ucar.edu/raf/Software/netCDF.html

I'm not sure whether the straight CF format works.

There is a section on aircraft tracks in the workshop guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/page_trajectorydata.html

The sample file is in the workshopdata.zip file available from the downloads
section of the Unidata web site.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: GLU-909903
Department: Support IDV