[IDV #ZBY-441726]: Text Point Data

Hi Greg,

> I have been having a problem setting up a file to plot airplane track data
> --- lat, lon, alt. I have been using a template I obtained from browsing the
> IDV email (see file). This works fine but it has additional parameters that I
> need to set to 0. I just can not figure a way to set up the file with just
> lat, lon, alt. I have tried various combinations to no avail.

I just added a fmt="yyyy" to the Time column. This tells the IDV that
it is the time field. The "yyyy" just parses the 0s in the data
as the year 0.
Latitude Longitude magnitude Time[fmt="yyyy"] Altitude[unit="ft"]

The IDV won't automatically recognize the .txt extension as Text Point Data
so make sure you change the "I'm Feeling Lucky" to Text Point Data.

Also, currently we cannot read in the text point data as a aircraft track.
You can however show this with the point data display and turn off decluttering.
We will be adding this feature in the near future though.

Also - we have just written a preliminary help page on this format:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html
We will also be adding to it.

I am in the middle of enhancing the capabilities and performance of the text
point data
files (literally, this morning) so if you have any feedback or requests please
send them in.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: ZBY-441726
Department: Support IDV