[IDV #JFK-957868]: IDV will not recognize netCDF file

Hi Dave-

> I would like to use IDV to read Synthetic Apeture Radar data in netCDF
> format.  What I want to do is to plot SAR wind speed estimates
> on a lat/lon grid.  I can not get IDV to recognize these files. I 'think' the
> files follow the COARS convention, but could be wrong.

There is no Conventions global attribute so even if it looks like
COARDS and smells like COARDS, we need the convention attribute
to tell us so.  Many conventions look alike but aren't.

> I would send the whole netCDF file but they are 16Mb in size, so I ran ncdump
> -h and put the output below. If you need the whole file let me know.  Can you
> help?

Even with that convention attribute, I'm not sure that it will find
the lat and lon variables.  Why don't you put out a file and I'll
play with it.

> /export/home/faculty/dave/SAR% ncdump -h
> D05241.T152357.P59N141.P54N132.A.h0.6.aplwind2.nc
> netcdf D05241.T152357.P59N141.P54N132.A.h0.6.aplwind2 {
> dimensions:
> sarx = 1000 ;
> sary = 1000 ;
> variables:
> float sarlon(sarx) ;
> sarlon:units = "Degrees" ;
> sarlon:long_name = "SAR Longitude Vector" ;
> float sarlat(sary) ;
> sarlat:units = "Degrees" ;
> sarlat:long_name = "SAR Latitude Vector" ;
> float sartheta(sary, sarx) ;
> sartheta:units = "Degrees" ;
> sartheta:long_name = "SAR Incidence Angle Vector" ;
> float sarlookdir ;
> sarlookdir:units = "Degrees" ;
> sarlookdir:long_name = "SAR Radar Look Direction" ;
> float sarrcs(sary, sarx) ;
> sarrcs:long_name = "SAR Normalized Radar Cross-section" ;
> float sardir(sary, sarx) ;
> sardir:units = "Degrees" ;
> sardir:long_name = "Placeholder for SAR direction (default from NOGAPS)" ;
> float sarspeed(sary, sarx) ;
> sarspeed:units = "m/s" ;
> sarspeed:long_name = "SAR Wind Speed Estimates (using sarrcs and sardir)" ;

Ticket ID: JFK-957868
Department: Support IDV