[IDV #VLP-444045]: IDV - Display Labels

HI Bob-

> Institution: CW
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.1\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hello,
>
> Can the display label macros be edited in anyway? I`ve just figured out where
> and what they do
> however, if I`m plotting a couple of layers, that display label become pretty
> long!! I would much
> prefer a display labelling schema like in use with the main numerical model
> providers. Such as:
>
> "850hpa Temp(C) Height(M)     18hr NAM valid 6z Fri 16 Feb"

You can save the macro template under the Edit->Properties menu
of a display.  Click on the Add Macro button and use one of
the "Use as default" options.

For the particular issue above, you can use the level, but all
we have access to as far as units are what is in the data.  Many
other  packages have standard names for variables.  The IDV can deal
with a variety of data and we can only use what we are given. In
this case, hectoPascals is what we are given as a unit name.

You can use a particular date format by adding a macro:

%time:'valid 'HH'z' dd MMM%

(plain text is in single quotes, date formats use the standard
Java time format characters which can be found here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html

At present, we handle model times only as the valid time and have
no way to represent the forecast hour.  That may change in the
future.

> For example `850 hectopascals` I would to shrink down to `850hpa`, the same
> for some of the other
> macro descriptions, I woud like to be able to change the wording to something
> like the above.

You can use text in your label.

> Thank you for providing such an informative and excellent piece of software.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: VLP-444045
Department: Support IDV