[IDV #ENS-372364]: IDV - Colour Tables

> While I`m still learning the basics of IDV, I must say I am thoroughly
> enjoying using this fine piece of software.
Good and thank you.

> I`m having some difficulty with creating some better colour tables than the
> default basic ones available with IDV.
> When running for example, a colour filled 500hpa temperature chart, at -40C a
> light blue colour is
> not a very good representation. It needs to be a deep purple or even brown
> colour, like most of the model
> chart providers use. Just wondering if there are any temperature colour
> tables available to download?

There is a color table editor where you can create your own:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/ColorTableEditor.html

Also, the IDV has a plugin facility:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/Plugins.html
Under the plugin manager there are a number of extra color tables you can add
in.

Also, you can import lost of different formats (mcidas, gempak, pal, etc.)

> My other question. Say I wanted to add my legend/comments to the finished
> product, such as a the name
> of our community group, and also add the name of the model that was ingested.
> Currently the text added to the bottom
> of the products doesn`t explain a lot. Thank you.

There is a drawing control:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/controls/misc/DrawingControl.html
created through the Displays->Special->Drawing Control menu.
You can add text, etc., to your display. The current development version
(which will be released in beta form in the coming weeks) revamped
the text rendering and supports (semi) arbitrary html in the main display.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: ENS-372364
Department: Support IDV