Re: Uses of IDV Source

Hi Roy,

I'm Cc:ing Jeff McWhirter in case he has a different opinion, but the
LGPL license used for the IDV should let you make use of any of the
classes in IDV to generate images to display from your web server.  As
Yes, that is correct. The only constraint the LGPL has is that if you change our source code
that needs to be public.
far as I know, there is no stripped down version just for creating
images offline.  Here's a support answer from Jeff about scripting the
IDV:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg00592.html

If there are newer capabilities than described in that answer from two
years ago, I hope Jeff can supply the details.

The IDV now has a scripting language - ISL (Idv Scripting Language),
and XML based language. The most current version also provides scripting in Jython (though, not very
well documented and very bleeding edge). There is documentation here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/isl/index.html

We are in the midst of getting a beta release out in the next month or so and then will be doing substantial work on providing more examples of generating imagery. We do have some preliminary things we have done
here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/examples/examples.html
and here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/examples/radar/index.html
though these pages will be revamped and probably moved in the coming weeks.

A caveat - if you are trying to produce images from direct web requests (e.g., firing up the IDV like a CGI script) there is a substantial start time (from Java) for the IDV. We are in the midst of getting a beta release out now but will be tackling this issue soon afterwards. We have some pieces in place
that will support sort-of a fast-cgi approach but this is not complete.

-Jeff