[IDV #UZW-457508]: IDV causing hard crash of Windows XP.

Hi James-

> Thanks for your response.  After sending you my error report, I thought
> of checking for updates for my video card.  Yup, that's the first thing
> I should have checked.  This morning, (Monday, January 29, 2007), I've
> installed the latest Radeon drivers from the ATI site.  I can tell that
> there are new drivers installed because there has been a change in my
> video performance.  I wouldn't say it was an improvement, but it's a
> change.
>
> I ran my standard test of opening IDV, and going through the process of
> setting the Display to Full Screen and boom (or whoosh, if you'd like a
> less dramatic sound), my computers rebooting itself.

I was hoping the drivers would fix that.

> I could not find a file hs_err*.log on my system.  I checked first in
> the C:\Program Files\IDV_2.1 directory in which the IDV is installed.  I
> then performed a search for hs_err*.log over both of the hard disks in
> my system.  Sorry, I can't find any log files by that name.

Okay.  Usually when the video system crashes, these files are created.
You mentioned in the previous mail that there was some sort of
log created by windows.  If you have that, can you pass it along?

I'm wondering if it's a memory issue on the card.  Again, I'm surprised
that it crashes the whole system.  When you go to full screen, is
the IDV display still on the same monitor that it was originally
created on or did you move it to the second monitor?  If you expand
the display to fill the screen instead of using the full screen option,
does everything still work?

Again, sorry for the problems.  Since we have no dual-monitor displays
here, I have no way of testing this. For now, all I could suggest is not
using the full screen option.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: UZW-457508
Department: Support IDV