[IDV #ZJC-641381]: IDV - VGEE IDV

Hi Valentijn-

Here's an update on VGEE.  We went ahead and created a plugin
for the VGEE which you can load in from the Tools->Plugin Manager
menu.

If you download the latest nightly build from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

you can access this feature.

The VGEE code is unsupported, but is meant to be a demonstration
of the flexibility of the IDV.  You can access the VGEE
displays from the Special Displays tab of the QuickLinks
or from the Displays->Special menu.  Some of these interact
with real data.  For example, if you load in a grid with
temperature, you can use the VGEE temperature concept model
with the probe.

I've attached the latest source to this message.

Enjoy!

Don

> > thanks so much for the jar you send just now.
> >
> > I can try to get one of our programmers interested and look at your
> > suggestion to turn this into a little community contribution. How could it
> > be installed as a plugin exactly (technically)? Do you have a DSK example
> > plugin?
>
> We have been developing a rich plugin architecture in the IDV that
> allows people to add on their own customizations to the IDV.
> It's basically a matter of JAR'ing up the necessary resources (
> properties files, color tables, Jython, etc) and then installing it.
> For an example, if you go to the nightly build page:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly
>
> you'll see a WebStart link for the SimpleIdv which basically loads
> in a plugin that modifies the user interface.
>
> If you take the source JAR I sent and unpack it with the IDV source
> at the top level (so the VGEE directory is a peer of ucar) and
> build the vgee.jar by running ant in the VGEE directory, you could
> use the -plugin vgee.jar command line option of runIDV to run
> with the plugin.  At this point, it will look just like the regular
> IDV (except for the splash screen), but with a little work, the
> old VGEE UI could be created through a skin.
>
> As I said, we don't have the resources to do this, so that's
> about the best I can do for now.
>
> > >I've attached a JAR of the VGEE
> > >source code that will compile against the latest version.
> >
> > What version exactly, does this include the nightly build? What makes to
> > two NOT work together (method, class)?
>
> The src is just for the VGEE code.  You can get the IDV source from the
> nightly build page above.  Follow the instructions here for building:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/docs/userguide/misc/SourceBuild.html
>
> > Can you send me a working jnlp so that i can convince the education process
> > manager to allocate IT-development resources?
>
> Sorry I don't have one that gives the old VGEE UI.
>
> Don

Ticket ID: ZJC-641381
Department: Support IDV