[IDV #GFM-139212]: IDV - Sigma coordinates in IDV

Hi Andrew, this is Jeff, not Don.

> Sorry to bother you again, but if you have a chance to answer another
> couple of questions I have about IDV then I'd be very grateful.
No problem.

> 1) Is there a way of placing 'shared' data sources in the "Saved Data
> Sources" tab of Quick Links? I would like to set up data source links
> that are placed in the SITEPATH rather than the user's
> .metapps/DefaultIDV/datasources/General/ directory. Copying everything
> from the user's datasource directory to SITEPATH/datasources/ doesn't
> work. The only way I can set up the links is to save a data source as a
> QuickLink, copy the .xidv file from
> ~/.metapps/DefaultIDV/datasources/General/ and then refer to this .xidv
> file in SITEPATH/bundles.xml (and point to bundles.xml in the bundlexml
> resource in a RBI file). However, the links then appear in the "Favorite
> Bundles" tab rather than "Saved Data Sources", and each link appears
> twice under "Favorite Bundles". I would like to be able to place the
> .xidv files in the SITEPATH directory (rather than ~/.metapps) so the
> links are available to all users in "Saved Data Sources".\

In the bundles xml file you can add a type="data" attribute for the bundle tag:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<bundles>
<!--
Note: you can also add a type="data|display|favorite" in the bundle tag
-->

  <bundle type="data"
     category="Samples"
     name="Grid Displays"

url="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/resources/bundles/samples/grid.xidv"/>
</bundles>

> 2) Is there a way of creating map displays with more than four panels?

There are a couple of ways. First you can use the "Multiple Displays" display
control.
Select  the Displays->Special->Multiple Displays menu.
This display control acts as a hold of map windows, other displays, etc.
You can got to its "Mutli Display->File-New->Map Display" menu to add in a
number of map displays. Then, you go to the "Multi Display->Edit->Manage
Displays"
menu to show the display manager window, which is a tree view. If you right
mouse
on the "Default Group" field you can show its properties (See attached screen
shot)
to define row and column layout.  You can add other groups to the display to
fine tune the
layout. The drawback to this is that it is a complex process and this is just
an instance
of a display. You'd have to save it off in a bundle.

What you probably want is to create a new user interface "skin". All of the
main
windows in the idv are defined as xml skins. We haven't had many end users
create new
ones but we can help you get what you need. Attached is the skin xml we use for
the four
pane display. There is some documentation on the general xmlui facility here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/developer/XmlUi.html

The skin file can then be added to the rbi or, if its name ends in "skin.xml"
it can
be added as a plugin.

Feel free to get back with us if you need help. What type of UI were you
thinking of?

-Jeff

Ticket ID: GFM-139212
Department: Support IDV

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<skin>
<!--
See: /auxdata/docs/developer/contents/XmlUi.html
    -->
  <properties>
    <property
       name="view.size"
       value="150:150"/>
    <property
       name="icon.wait.wait"
       value="/ucar/unidata/idv/images/wait.gif"/>
  </properties>
  <ui>
    <panel layout="border">
      <idv.menubar place="North"/>
      <panel
         place="Center"
         layout="border">
        <panel
           layout="flow"
           place="North">
          <idv.toolbar
             id="idv.toolbar"
             place="West"/>
          <panel
             id="idv.favoritesbar"
             place="North"/>
        </panel>
        <panel
           layout="grid"
           cols="2"
           place="Center">
          <idv.view
             class="${view_class}"
             viewid="viewleft%version%"
             id="viewleft"

properties="clickToFocus=true;shareViews=true;showControlLegend=false;size=%view.size%;shareGroup=view%versionuid%;"/>
          <idv.view
             class="${view_class}"
             viewid="viewright%version%"
             id="viewright"

properties="clickToFocus=true;showToolBars=false;shareViews=true;showControlLegend=false;size=%view.size%;shareGroup=view%versionuid%;"/>
          <idv.view
             class="${view_class}"
             viewid="viewleft2%version%"
             id="viewleft2"

properties="clickToFocus=true;shareViews=true;showControlLegend=false;size=%view.size%;shareGroup=view%versionuid%;"/>
          <idv.view
             class="${view_class}"
             viewid="viewright2%version%"
             id="viewright2"

properties="clickToFocus=true;showToolBars=false;shareViews=true;showControlLegend=false;size=%view.size%;shareGroup=view%versionuid%;"/>
        </panel>
      </panel>
      <idv.statusbar place="South"  id="bottom_bar"/>
    </panel>
  </ui>
  <styles>
       class="iconbtn"
       space="2"

mouse_enter="ui.setText(idv.messagelabel,prop:tooltip);ui.setBorder(this,etched);"
       mouse_exit="ui.setText(idv.messagelabel,);ui.setBorder(this,button);"/>
       class="textbtn"
       space="2"
       mouse_enter="ui.setText(idv.messagelabel,prop:tooltip)"
       mouse_exit="ui.setText(idv.messagelabel,)"/>
  </styles>
  <components/>
</skin>