[IDV #GUN-696470]: IDV - IDV error

Hi Max-

> Institution: New Mexico State University
> Package Version: 2.0
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.0\\jre;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: An error has occurred:
> ControlDescriptor.Creating display
> Java heap space
>
> The above error was encountered when reading in a
> North Americal Reanalysis data set for display.  The dataset
> can be obtained from:
>
> ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/NARR/monolevel/
>
> It was the air.2m.2002.nc file.

This file is > 500 mb and has 2920 timesteps which the IDV will
have to read and display.  So, I'm not surprised that you ran
out of memory.

> I am on WINXPprof with 500 MB ram

With only 500 Mb of RAM, I would suggest you change the IDV
startup script to use 256 Mb instead of the default of 512mb.
See the FAQ item on this at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat3_12

For such a large file, you will need to:

- subset the times
- subset the geographic location
- and/or subset the stride (number of x/y points).

You can do this through the lower right panel of the Field Selector.

You could also turn on Fast Rendering (Edit->Preferences, General Tab)
which will reduce some processing time.

The next version of the IDV has better memory management, but even
so, will not load in this entire file without some subsetting.

Don Murray

> Stack trace:

Ticket ID: GUN-696470
Department: Support IDV