[IDV #TQV-417745]: IDV - IDV 2.0: Blue Marble doesn't always Load in IDV but is web-accessable.. Is there a way to keep a local copy of the image?

> http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&Styles=&format=image/png&SRS=EPSG:4326&Layers=modis&BBOX=-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0&width=4000&height=3160
> Could not load
> resource:http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&Styles=&format=image/png&SRS=EPSG:4326&Layers=modis&BBOX=-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0&width=4000&height=3160
>  error:java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL:
> http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&Styles=&format=image/png&SRS=EPSG:4326&Layers=modis&BBOX=-180.0,-90.0,180.0,90.0&width=4000&height=3160
> ================
>
> However, I can easily load the URL in my web browser.  Is there a way we can
> just grab the image and keep it locally for use in IDV?

Hi Bill,
The most likely reason for it failing in the IDV but then working through your
browser
is that sometimes Web Map Servers may fail or be overloaded or there may be a
momentary
network problem.

You can take a snapshot of the currently viewed WMS image, save it off as a IDV
ximg
file and then load that back into the IDV and create an image display. This
does not give
you the varying degrees of resolution that accessing the WMS image provides but
it gives
you more control and prevents the above problems from occuring.

To do this from your WMS Image Display Control:

  -Get the view that you want.

  -Go to the File->Save->Save as Image XML/KML File... menu item

  -Select a file name. The .ximg suffix will give you an IDV specific
   Xml/Image file with an external png image saved.
   A .kmz suffix will create a Google Earth kmz file that contains
   the image within it.

  -Then remove the WMS Image Display Control.

  -Go to the file chooser and load in the ximg or kmz file
   you saved.

  -Create a "3 Color (RGB) Image" display.

The kmz file can also be loaded into Google Earth.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: TQV-417745
Department: Support IDV