[IDV #NAX-882479]: IDV2.0 memory

Hi Brian-

> We have done a binary install of IDV2.0 on a Fedora Core5 Linux machine.
> The software appears to work; however, there appears to be some memory
> problems. The Linux machine has 2Gb of RAM on it, but the IDV package says
> that there is only 533 Mb available for it to use. Perhaps there is a
> setting somewhere to increase this number? As it stands now, we can not
> try any 3D images, since it uses all memory.

You can adjust the startup script (runIDV) by changing the
-Xmx512m to be -Xmx1500m to use 1.5 Gb of memory.  See the
FAQ item about this at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat3_11

> What is more bothersome is that the used memory amount in IDV just keeps
> increasing and never seems to refresh, even after clearing the screen.
> The memory usage just slowly climbs to the max of 533Mb, which perhaps
> suggests that there is some sort of memory leak?

The amount of memory used is dependent on the size of the dataset,
the types of displays you are using and whether or not you are
caching.  What type of display are you creating?   When you load
in displays, the data for those displays may get cached.  You can
clear out your cache by right clicking on the memory monitor and
selecting Clear Memory and Cache.   You can also turn off caching
globally by using the Edit->Preferences menu and selecting that
option under the Data & Formats tab.

> Thanks for any insight and your time.

If you let us know what type of dataset you are loading and what type
of displays you are creating, we can track down the problem further.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: NAX-882479
Department: Support IDV