[IDV #NAX-882479]: IDV2.0 memory

Hi Brian-

> > You can adjust the startup script (runIDV) by changing the
> > -Xmx512m to be -Xmx1500m to use 1.5 Gb of memory.  See the
> > FAQ item about this at:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat3_11
> >

> thank you. that helps alot.

Okay.

> > The amount of memory used is dependent on the size of the dataset,
> > the types of displays you are using and whether or not you are
> > caching.  What type of display are you creating?   When you load
> > in displays, the data for those displays may get cached.  You can
> > clear out your cache by right clicking on the memory monitor and
> > selecting Clear Memory and Cache.   You can also turn off caching
> > globally by using the Edit->Preferences menu and selecting that
> > option under the Data & Formats tab.
> >

> Yes, clear memory and cache is what I need. I am testing by viewing a
> velocity level2 radar sweep in 3D, which pushes memory to 1024 Mb. It
> appears that clearing the memory and cache only reduced the usage by
> about 200 Mb after trying multiple times, then it spikes up well over
> 1000 when the next 3D request is made. Is it supposed to reset the
> memory more completely?

Unfortunately, Java 3D holds on to some memory for
a while so even when you clear the cache and memory,
it will take a while for the first number (actual used)
in the memory widget to go down.

How many time steps are you trying to display?  A single level
for 8 times on my system uses a maximum of 119 Mb (middle
number on the display), but the actual end up being used is less than
90 Mb.  That is with caching turned on.

Trying to display the Volume Scan (all sweeps) or
Radar Isosurface for multiple times will definitely
tax your memory but a 2D or 3D sweep should not unless
you are loading in many (>30 times).  Even that should
not push it up to 1 Gb.

BTW, we've done some memory improvements to the radar
displays which will be in the final 2.0 release (due out
Wednesday with any luck).

Don Murray

Ticket ID: NAX-882479
Department: Support IDV