[IDV #MKC-171308]: IDV and NCDC goes images

Hi Larry-

> I am trying to view McIDAS area format images
> downloaded from NCDC.  It displays as entirely
> white.  I am able to view the image in GEMPAK
> and McIDAS.  If I remap it in McIDAS the resulting
> file is viewable.  I have an example in
> ftp://cat.uwyo.edu/pub/transient/ldoolman/goes10.2006.018.220015.BAND_01.L1307951
>
> This particular image is 16 bit.  I have tried
> 8 bit with the same results.

The problem is that the default range of the color table for images is
0 to 255 (range for brightness values) and this image has RAW values
that range from 1536 to 12989.  So, all the values get the 255 color
(white).  If you use the Edit->Color Table->Change Range menu to
bring up the range changing widget, then click on the Use Predefined
button and select From Field, then click Apply, it will change the
range to the data.

McIDAS does a calibration to brightness on the fly and GEMPAK auto
scales the data to the color table range which is why they looked
correct in thos applications.

> I am using idv_1.3b2 under Linux RHEL4 with an
> ATI Mach64 video card.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MKC-171308
Department: Support IDV