[IDV #RGX-739687]: IDV - IDV Display of Dual Pole Moments in netCDF

Hi Randy-

> Institution: NWS, Radar Operations Center
> Package Version: 1.3b2
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: The Unidata IDV is new to me.  After viewing "realtime" Level III
> data, the IDV
> capabilities seem extensive.
>
> I was unable to view dual polarization moments (in netCDF format) with IDV.
> Is there an easy
> way to display the NSSL dual pole radar files using IDV?

The only netCDF radar format we support is the NCAR sweep file format.
Could you send a copy of your format that we could take a look at?
We are currently working on supporting a variety of radar formats natively
and we could possibly add this to the list.  Is there documentation on
the standard?

> Here is the reported error from my first attempt to display:
>
> An error has occurred:
> Creating ui:C:\DATA\A P P S Dual Pole\Reflectivity_0.00_20050513-070524.netcdf
> Content is not allowed in prolog.

When you opened the file, it looks like the IDV is trying to open it
as an XML file for some reason.  I don't think we would support your
format natively, but if you change the data type to netCDF Sweep Files,
I'm sure you'd get a different error message. ;-)

Don Murray

> Thanks. Randy Steadham
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content is not allowed in prolog.
> at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown
> Source)
> at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(Unknown Source)
> at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlUtil.getDocument(XmlUtil.java:1048)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeUiFromPath(XmlChooser.java:340)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeUiFromPath(XmlChooser.java:310)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doUpdateInner(XmlChooser.java:597)

Ticket ID: RGX-739687
Department: Support IDV