[IDV #ATC-717699]: IDV - save as jnlp file

Hi Stu-

> > ##When we save the state as a jnlp file we use the given template
> > application.jnlp.template = /ucar/unidata/idv/resources/template.jnlp
> >
> > ##This is where we find the webstart code release
> > application.jnlp.codebase =
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart
>
> Thanks Don this has moved us forawrd a lot.
>
> I am making our own template.jnlp and pointing to our jnlp codebase online.

I think you will need to have a code signing certificate and sign
all the JAR files for this to work.

> now I see an error at launch:
>
> "Category: Launch File Error
>
> The following required field is missing from the launch file:
> <component-desc>|<installer-desc>"
>
> What are these things?   <component-desc> <installer-desc>
>
> I grepped in idv/resources but did not find them.

These are webstart things, but I think this is just masking another
problem.  If you look at the other tabs on the error dialog, what
do they point to?

In you JNLP file, you have the following:

       <resources>
           <j2se version="1.4+" max-heap-size="1024m" />
           <jar href="geonidv.jar"/>
           <jar href="auxdata.jar"/>
           <jar href="external.jar"/>
           <jar href="idv.jar"/>
           <jar href="jython.jar"/>
           <jar href="local-visad.jar"/>
           <jar href="nc2.2.jar"/>
           <jar href="visad.jar"/>
           <extension name="GEON IDV base" href="geon_idv_jars.jnlp"/>
       </resources>

what is in the geon_idv_jars.jnlp file?  For the main IDV, that's
where we specify all the jars you have listed in yours.  It's likely
that the error is due to a problem with that jnlp file.

> > Also, please note that the "powered by" icon name has been changed
> > and the old one is not in the distribution (a mistake on our part,
> > but irreversible at this point).  The line in geon.properties should
> > now read:
> >
> > application.splash.iconroll = /ucar/unidata/idv/images/logo_rollover.gif
>
> Good, this is fixed now.

Okay.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ATC-717699