[IDV #IFQ-395820]: IDV - not a track file

Hi Stu-

> >>Inquiry: I have a user's 3D grid data file named AM_T_intp3827.nc
> >>When do "Add source," it gets the error message below.
> >>
> >>Renaming the file to AM_T_intp220.nc lets it load fine.
> >>
> >>Somehow the file name is indicating it is a track file.
>

> > The DataSource is chosen by the pattern of the file name or by
> > the serviceType.dataType attribute in a catalog.  It does not
> > look at the file to figure out what kind of data it is.  If you
> > know it's a grid, then you should set the Data Source Type in
> > the chooser to be the Grid type.  Otherwise, you are at the
> > mercy of the IDV's patterns for data sources. Think of the
> > label "Default" in that widget as equivalent to Google's
> > "I'm feeling lucky"  button.  When you use that and don't get
> > the result you want, then you have to go back and redo the
> > search.  In this case, it means setting the Data Source Type
> > to be specific.
>
> Yes the data source type can handle this. I would like to know more about
> what is going
> on. What is special about "AM_T_intp3827.nc" that signals it is a track file?
> Where is that figured out in code?  I did not expect that if
> AM_T_intp220.nc worked as a default 3d grid, that AM_T_intp3827.nc would not
> do the same.

The patterns are defined in datasource.xml.  For track files:

  <datasource
     id="FILE.TRACK"
     factory="ucar.unidata.data.sounding.TrackDataSource"
     patterns="c130.*\.nc,p3.*.nc$,P3.*\.nc$,.*WMI_Lear.*\.nc$"
     fileselection="true"
     doesmultiples="true"
     label="Track files"/>

it is picking up the p3 (for the P3 aircraft).

If you'd like to create a netCDF sniffer that would look at the
files and figure out what kind of datasource to create, we'd be happy
to consider putting it back into the core.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: IFQ-395820
Department: Support IDV