[IDV #YWT-968930]: IDV - stereo video drivers; multiple time files for same grid and data type

Hi Stu-

> Institution: UNAVCO
> Package Version: 1.3b1
> Operating System: linux
> Hardware Information: usual
> Inquiry: 1. is there a way to signal demand for stereo drivers, say in the
> command line?

If the video card is set up for stereo, the IDV should automatically
set up for stereo mode in versions 1.3b1 and lower.  The one thing
that sometimes doesn't seem to work is that it doesn't go into
perspective mode automatically.  In that case, you need to manually
put it into perspective mode.  You could save that as your default
bundle and it should unpersist with perspective mode on.  Or create
a "stereo" bundle that you could load in which would do the same
thing.  Since we don't have a stereo system here, it's hard to test.

In version 1.3b2, you must explicitly change the runIDV script to
change -Dapplication.enableStereo=false to -Dapplication.enableStereo=true.
There is a note in the FAQ about that:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Faq.html

under the Video Card section.

> 2. is there a way to have a sequence of times for 3D grid of data, with each
> time in one netcdf file?

You should be able to do this with the aggregation features of NcML
if the files are uniform in structure.  See the docs at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/v2.2/Aggregation.html

You'd need to use version 1.3b2 for this.  By default, if the file
name ends in ncml, it should open it as a grid.  If not, then set
the Data Source Type.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: YWT-968930
Department: Support IDV