[IDV #SMJ-469589]: Re: 20060123: Gempak - GEMPAK to IDV conversion?

Hi John-

> I tried this, but the problem was that the netCDF file generated is
> truly the ARPS history format - which contains the fundemental state
> variables only.  At the Museum, we are interested in basic near-surface
> parameters for interacting with our guests.  The arps2gem GEMPAK
> exporter does this.  But you got me thinking...  It turns out there is
> an arps2ncdf exporter that also computes all of the useful parameters,
> but it makes a netCDF using the AWIPS convention which is about as
> confusing as it gets with all of the inventory variables and other
> things and further doesn't even work 100% in IDV.  So I reworked it to
> output to NUWG convention which results in a nice clean IDV-displayable
> file that is in structure at least as clean as the gribtonc output and
> matches the default IDV derivable parameter sets.  If you would be
> interested in it, I'd be happy to clean it up a bit and contribute it
> back if you'd like.

Great job!  Hope this makes it easier for you in the long run.

I'd be interested in both the code and a sample of the AWIPS convention
(presumably LAPS?). We should support the latter fully so having
a sample would be good.

I'll pass your comments along to those here working on with the
ADAS group.

Ticket ID: SMJ-469589
Department: Support IDV