20060123: Gempak - GEMPAK to IDV conversion?

>From: "John Meyers" <address@hidden>

Hi John-

I was tied up in a meeting the last couple of days, so sorry for
the delay in responding.

>Very intersting.  This was the first thing I tried when I started
>messing with ADAS over the summer.  I was able to get netCDF output, but
>it was not structured in the way that IDV requires.  I will revisit this
>with the current version of ADAS (v5.2.4).  I am curious though if you
>are using some sort of additional post-processing step to get the output
>into an IDV-usable netCDF, or just setting the history dump format
>option to netCDF and reading the xxx.cdf00000 file with IDV?

Here's what I was told:

> All they needs is ARPS 5.2.4.  In the ADAS input file, set "hdmpfmt" to 7.
> This requires that no input data be HDF4 format, and that the ADAS binary
> be built that way.

If that doesn't answer your question, let me know.  You'll need
to be running IDV 1.3b1 to support this format.

>> You should be able to put the GRIB files in the catalog and
>> point to them with the IDV.  The latest THREDDS Data Server (TDS)
>> supports this through OPeNDAP, but you should also be able to
>> reference them as dataType GRID and serviceType netCDF in the
>> catalog.
>
>Another thing I did not know.  Thanks!  However, there is a potential
>caveat here.  How would I do this if I have non-WMO defined parameters
>here?

Each IDV installation would need to have access to a file called
grib1lookuptable.lst which would list the parameter table.  The
format is:

so it would look like:

57:     1:      2:      gwctab_2.tab

You can read more information about this at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/decoders/javadoc/Parameters.txt

It hasn't made it's way to the IDV User's Guide yet.

Once you've created this file, IDV users could use it by putting
the grib1lookuptable.lst in their <home>/.metapps/DefaultIdv
directory and put the corresponding table files where they
are pointed to in the file.  This can be a relative path or
a web server.  Alternatively, you could place the grib1lookuptable.lst
and associated parameter tables on a local web server and have
the users use the IDV's sitepath parameter (startup option or
user preference) to point to the location where the files are.

>Also, Is there a reason that the public THREDDS server on
>motherload hosts all the HRS and CONDUIT data as netCDF over GRIB? And
>finally, we are archiving this data on a large storage array, and I
>worry about long-term usability of the data.  I hope that because of the
>self-descriptive format that data stored today as netCDF will be
>decodable well into the future.  I'm hesitant to say the same for
>GRIB....

I think GRIB is more self describing than netCDF.  Grib has specific
(although numerous) rules, where anyone can store anything in
a netCDF file any way they choose.  (Thus our problems reading
the old ADAS formats).

>By the way, thanks for chiming in on this one!

No problem.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Don Murray