20060123: Gempak - GEMPAK to IDV conversion?

>From: "John Meyers" <address@hidden>

Hi John-

>The grids are actually coming from a local analysis of mesonet surface
>data we are doing using CAPS's ADAS program, which has a nice GEMPAK
>exporter.  Interesting idea on the native GRIB, however what I did not
>say is that I make these files available over our internal THREDDS
>catalog server for easy access by the presenters to use on our display
>mahcines.  I am not sure that is possible with native GRIB?

We are using ADAS as part of the LEAD project and the version we
have puts out the data in netCDF files that the IDV can read.
I'm not sure which version of ADAS we are running compared to you
(it might be a research version), but that might be another option.

You should be able to put the GRIB files in the catalog and
point to them with the IDV.  The latest THREDDS Data Server (TDS)
supports this through OPeNDAP, but you should also be able to
reference them as dataType GRID and serviceType netCDF in the
catalog.

>I just updated Steve last night that I wrote a perl script that
>automates the GDGRIB export resulting in a grib file that gribtonc
>converts into a CDF file that IDV displays perfectly.

Yes, I saw that message, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents in
case we could make this easier.

Don