20060121: IDV - Globe

>From: "Laney Mills" <address@hidden>

Hi Laney-

>Institution: College of Charleston
>Package Version: 1.3b1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:E:\\Program Files\\IDV\\jre; j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d
> .vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
>Inquiry: Newbie question:
>
>I can't get anything at all out of GLOBE temperature data or GLOBE winds.
>
>Thanks for anyhelp.
>
>I am trying to make cross sections of temperature- pole to pole especially,
>and with observed rather than modeled data.  I can get those crossections
>from Unidata modeled data, but I was trying to find observed representations
>of the same cross sections.

Any data from the GLOBE web Web Map Server will just be a 2D picture.

For 3D data, use the Catalog chooser and from the IDV catalog,
select the:

Model Data
 > Unidata IDD Model Data
   >NCEP GFS Global 5.0 x 2.5 degree model data (thin grid)

datasets.

Then for any of the 3D grid parameters on isobaric levels, select one of
the Cross Section displays.  You can orient the cross section line in the
main display by dragging on the end points.

Don Murray