20060121: IDV - trying to find which are the useful web site data sources

>From: "Laney Mills" <address@hidden>

Hi Laney-

>Institution: College of Charleston
>Package Version: 1.3b1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:E:\\Program Files\\IDV\\jre; j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d
> .vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
>Inquiry: An error has occurred:
>There was an error loading the data:
>Failed to open www.noaa.gov No such data object "www.noaa.gov"
>
>I got this above option just trying to guess a web site that might have someth
> ing for
>the IDV.

>There is an option to get data from a url, but I don't know what are, say, the
>  main web
>sites that have the sort of data the IDV works with.

The URL chooser allows you to load in data that is stored on a
web server.  This could be a netCDF file, an IDV bundle, or
any other data type that supports remote access.

Because the IDV does not know what a particular file name or URL could
be, it relies on the file name or pattern to determine what the file
might be.  In the case above, you can either:

- set the Data Source Type to be Text or HTML
- or change the URL to be http://www.noaa.gov/index.html

>Does the Unidata site ha
> ve a sort
>of "anotated biography" of web sites of likely interest.

Unfortunately we don't.

>Thanks for any help.

Don Murray