20060121: IDV - Clearly I have a fundamental lack of knowledge here.

>From: "Laney Mills" <address@hidden>

>Institution: College of Charlestson
>Package Version: 1.3b1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:E:\\Program Files\\IDV\\jre; j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d
> .vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
>Inquiry: Trying to make "url data" work, I tried the one place that I was *sur
> e* there was
>something to display.  But from this error, I am sure I have a fundamental
>misunderstanding of how the "url data" works.
>
>Thanks, laney

In general, if you want to load in a web page, you will need to precede
the URL with http:// and set the Data Source Type to "Text or HTML
files" on the URL chooser. This chooser is generaly for loading in a
particular dataset, not to display web pages, although that can be
done with the following caveat. The display that shows web pages only
displays basic HTML and does not support JavaScript or Frames. So, if
you try to load in the Unidata home page, it will not be well formatted.

>An error has occurred:
>There was an error loading the data:
>Failed to open www.unidata.edu No such data object "www.unidata.edu"
>
>******************
>Stack trace:
>ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Failed to open www.unidata.edu No such dat
> a object "www.unidata.edu"
>       at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:975)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDat
> aViewer.java:1422)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataV
> iewer.java:1361)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.handleAction(IntegratedDataVie
> wer.java:1218)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.handleAction(DefaultIdv.java:111)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.handleAction(IntegratedDataVie
> wer.java:1165)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.UrlChooser.loadURLInner(UrlChooser.java:176
> )
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.UrlChooser.loadURL(UrlChooser.java:152)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.UrlChooser.doLoadInThread(UrlChooser.java:1
> 89)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>       at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$1.run(Misc.java:778)
>       at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:806)

Don Murray