20060104: problem loading certian Model displays with Fedora Core 4...

>From: "Jacob" <address@hidden>

Hi Jacob-

>    Hello, my name is Jacob Gore and I have been in contact with Unidata =
>over the last few days concerning the problem I have been having with =
>trying to load certian model display's into IDV using the Fedora Core 4 =
>operating system.  I contacted Unidata yesterday and I think I spoke =
>with someone named Dan.  I do not know what his position is at Unidata, =
>so the person I spoke with may be reading this email.  Anyway, I think =
>there is something wrong with my email account on the PC running Fedora =
>Core 4 because I am unable to recieve emails from that PC, and is the =
>reason why I have not recieved any emails from Unidata.  So, I am going =
>to use this Account I have on this PC, containing Microsoft Windows XP.  =
>I just wanted to let you know that I am now using this computer to keep =
>in contact with you and all the rest of the Unidata staff.  Yesterday, =
>when I spoke with Dan at Unidata, he said that he was going to look into =
>the issue of the long waiting time when trying to load the model =
>displays into IDV using Fedora Core 4 operating system.  I really =
>appreciate all of your help with trying to resolve this issue, and all =
>of you guys at Unidata are doing a fantastic job.  IDV is a great =
>program and I am very thankful that God has provided me with this great =
>software application.  All of you have done an excellent job at Unidata. =
> God Bless all you guys.

I'm still not sure what is going on with your system, but here's something
I'd like you to try:

- Edit the runIDV script that you use to start the IDV with gedit.
- Change the line:

command="java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar $*"

to:

 command="java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar $*"

and then try to access the 3D grids again.

Don Murray