20050414: Problems displaying level II radar data in IDV

>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>

Hi Brian-

>>Are you using the Radar->Level II chooser?
>Yep
>
>>Are the files stored in a directory with the station ID?
>Nope, all of our level II files from all stations are in the same directory.
>

>>Is the radar location getting set correctly?
>Nope, I have to manually set the location with the drop down menu.
>
>>Do you get any error messages?
>I get the following error:  "An error has occurred creating data choices
>null"

Do you get a pop-up window with the button "Support Form"?  If so,
can you fill out the form and send it in?

>>Can you put one of your files out on an FTP server for me so I can take a
>look?
>We don't have a public FTP server, so I just attached the file.

Thanks.

>NOTE:  I created a KMLB subdirectory and then copied the attached KMLB level
>II file to this KMLB subdirectory with file name "20050413215519.raw", went
>to load the file, IDV radar location got set correctly automatically this
>time, but I still had the same error?

The IDV uses the directory as a first guess at the site.

Here's what I found.

I can read in the file you sent with no problem.  So, the problem must
be in uncompressing the file.  For the BZIP2 files, we have to uncompress
them to a temporary file before we can read them.  This is typically
in $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv/tmp.  So for this file, I ended up
with a file called KMLB.20050413215519.restore_tmp in this directory.

So, my guesses would be:

1) you don't have permission to write to $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv/tmp
2) You  don't have enough space left on that partition.

Is your home directory local or on an NFS drive?

Is there a $HOME/DefaultIdv/tmp directory?

If so, are there any files in there?  What are the permissions on
this directory?

Is disk space a problem for this directory?

Sorry for the problems.

Don Murray