20050413: Problems displaying level II radar data in IDV

>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>

Hi Brian-

>I still cannot seem to display level II radar data in IDV for some reason?
>Can you send me the correct LDM pqact.conf entries that I need in order to
>properly file the level II radar data such that IDV can read the data?  FYI,
>we receive the level II radar data via the "CRAFT" (which I guess is called
>IrADS now?) data feed.  Do I need to use PIPE with nexradII in my pqact.conf
>(as described in http://caps.ou.edu/rtstats/configexamples.html)?  If so,
>where can I get the nexradII software?  I downloaded nexradII.tar.gz from
>ftp://ftp.caps.ou.edu/pub/users/sinclair/ and tried using the nexradII
>executable from this tar package, but was unsuccessful?  I wonder if I need
>to run a "make" using the Makefile from this tar package?  I guess I should
>probably be asking CAPS for this information, huh?

Since you last wrote, we updated the IDV to read the bzip2 compressed
data, so you don't need to uncompress them anymore.

On the CRAFT feed, the Level II data is sent out in a series of
bzip2 compressed packets of about 100 radials.  You need to
put these all together in one file.  The best way to do that is
to write them to a temporary file and then when the volume is
complete, move it to a permanet file.  Here's a link to a
support e-mail archive entry that explains this:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg00434.html&line=78#glimpse

>By the way, I am running the latest version of IDV (1.2 beta 2) on a linux
>PC.

Thanks for the info.  Let me know if this doesn't get you going.

Don Murray