20050329: Plume dispersion in IDV

>From: Marco Rodriguez <address@hidden>

Hi Marco-

>In our group there is one person interested to use the IDV to visualize
>plume dispersion model results. The results are a series of numbers
>(x,y,z) and the concentrations need to be represented as points (in
>which the size and color of the point might help to identify species and
>concentration). I can work on the details of getting this data in netCDF
>format, the question is can IDV visualize this? and if not what would it
>take to implement this feature. How involved would it be for us to
>modify the source code and try to plot this type of visualization in
>IDV. Any other methods/suggestions you may have are certainly welcome.

If you have a set up points with lat,lon,alt, you should be able to
display this as point data. You can create a station model which would
have a shape (e.g., sphere) colored by variable and sized by concentration.

At present, the netcdf file would have an index as the unlimited
dimension with the lat,lon,alt,time and variables as part of the

We are working on a new way to import point data and if you have
some specific format that you are currently working on, it would be
a good test for this new access.

Don Murray