20050225: IDV - IDV aborts in Web start mode

I had a couple of problems with netCDF sweepfile
ingest though.

First, when I select more then two netCDF files I get
a data source for each file.  I would expect IDV handle
netCDF sweepfiles like it handled Dorade sweep files.
In that case the data source comes up as a single
"Dorade Sweep Data" entry.  The individual  sweep files
are then accessed by their  times.

The netdf radar data source has not been exercised as well as the level2 and dorade data sources so we never added the multiple file ability. I'll add that to our todo list. Thanks.

Second,  at least in the case of the DBZ field, the
data is not being scaled.   I did a ncdump of the
netCDF sweepfiles we have and there exists
a scale_factor value that seems not to be used
by IDV.

I'll pass this along to Don.

I had no problem using IDV on a linux platform, but
I did have a problem on a Mac.    I could read
and view Dorade data, but I could not do the same
with netCDF sweepfile data.  After creating the
NetCDF sweepfile data source I tried to "Create Display"
using a DBZ field and I got this error:

    An error has occurred: But there was an error loading
     some of the data: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

How were you running the idv on the Mac?  If directly from the command
line (e.g., java -jar idv.jar) you need to specify a upper limit for the heap size. e.g.:
java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar

If from the install anywhere script then this script should use the -Xmx512m argument.

-Jeff