20050223: IDV - error in using OpenDAP datasource

>From: "John C Cartwright" <address@hidden>

Hi John-

>I'm using the InstallAnywhere installer and I did specify (at least at
>first) that I wanted to use my existing JDK.

Okay.  That makes sense.  We just added that capability with this
release.  I'll see about adding some verbage to that panel of
the installer stressing the need for Java 3D.

>I don't think that there's anything for you to do on this except
>possibly add a warning in the release notes about insuring that Java3D
>is already installed if one is to use an external JRE.

Okay.

>I was a little surprised that IDV ran at all without the missing jars.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), the IDV could run as
a 2D or 3D application.  Back then, platforms like Mac OS did not
support Java 3D.  Since that time, we've more or less insisted
that you need Java 3D, but the old code still allows it to run.
Perhaps we should put a check up front for Java 3D and exit
gracefully if it's not there.

Thanks for uncovering this issue.

Don