20041227: trouble downloading IDV

>From: AnnaJade Lee Chung-Goltermann <address@hidden>

Hi AJ-

>  Thanks for the help.  I tried creating the shell file and putting it
>in the IDV_1.1 folder.  When I tried to run the file, a dialog box
>popped up with something like "file is not executable."

Try going to a terminal window, going into the directory where the
runIDV script lives and set it to be executable:

chmod +x IDV.command

and then try again.

I'm not sure this will work, but it's worth a shot.

>  I tried to download the IDV again today.  This time I asked to not
>give me alias' on the desktop.  When I went into the IDV_1.1 folder, I
>tried to run the IDV.command file but it didn't work.

We'll keep looking for a solution.

>  Okay, I've kept you in enough suspense.  I tried the idv.jar file
>directly and it came up.  It seems to be running.  Now, I need to
>figure out how to use it.  Is there some sort of fast start tutorial.
>I would like to see surface data, satellite data and upper atmospheric
>data on the same screen.  I'm trying to understand how the atmospheric
>layers relate to each other.

You can either check out the Getting Started section of the
IDV User's Guide:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/quickstart/index.html

or a better idea might be to go through the IDV Workshop:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/docs/workshop/index.html

Most of the datasets are on line and those that aren't can be
downloaded.

Don Murray