20041206: trouble downloading IDV

Hi AJ-

>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, AnnaJade Lee Chung-Goltermann wrote:
>

>>   Hello,
>>
>>   I am taking a meteorology class from Professor Tony Rockwood.  He
>> recommended we try the IDV download.  I am having problems downloading
>> the IDV on my MAC (Professor Rockwood knows IBM but not MAC, so, he
>> told me to contact you directly.)

Oh sure, Tony, pass the buck. ;-)  Unfortunately, I don't do Mac either,
but we'll get this working.

>>   I have a iBook G4, running Mac OS X version 10.3.3, processor 1.07
>> GHz PowerPC G4, memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM, boot ROM version 4.8.5f0.
>>   I entered the Unidata website and created an account (chunggol).
>> Then went to TOOLS > IDV > Downloading and running the IDV > 1.2.0
>> InstallAnywhere Installers >
>> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewsdownload&sid
> =16
>> > logged in (chunggol) > IDV (download) > Binary >
>> InstallAnywhere installer for IDV under Mac OS-X Version 1.1 (idv 1_1
>> macosx_installer.zip.
>>   The "installer" downloaded sucessfully.  I activated the installer
>> and it created an "IDV" icon.  But, when I try to activate the IDV
>> icon, I get a dialogue box that says " There is no default application
>> specified to open the document "runIDV""
>> and two button selections:  Cancel     Choose Application.....
>>   When I "Choose Application", and go to the IDV_1.1 folder, the only
>> thing I can select is "UninstallerData" or "Java3D_and_Java Advanced
>> Imaging".  Selecting one of these options doesn't bring up the IDV.

What it's looking for is the shell to run the command.  The system
doesn't understand that runIDV is a shell script.  But even if it did,
it wouldn't run correctly.

The good news is that we can recreate the problem here.  The bad news
is that I don't have a permanent solution, but I do have a workaround.
Our Mac expert is out today.

In the IDV_1.1 folder, create a file called IDV.command that looks
like:

#!/bin/sh

IDVHOME=/Applications/IDV_1.1
cd $IDVHOME

java -Xmx512m -jar $IDVHOME/idv.jar

You'll need to change IDVHOME to point to whereever you installed
the IDV.

Then, through your system file viewer (shows my Mac ignorance),
launch IDV.command.

>>   Thank you for whatever support you can give me.

Well, that's a little. Let me know if this doesn't work. I'll get
back to you with a better solution once I find one.  Our Mac
expert is out today and I just wanted to give you some hope in
the mean time.

We'll have a new release at the end of the month and will have
a permanent fix in there.

Don