Re: Funny results with transparency

Michael-

The problem is one of sorting the polygons which Java 3D does not do.
An explanation of sorts can be found in the visad list archives at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/visad-list/msg01465.html

Don

Michael Raines wrote:

Hi
I have a very simple data set, just a squashed sphere. When I turn on transparency I see a patchwork of differing intensities, either 1x or 2x apparrently. Looks ok with it opaque. With transparency on I am expecting to see just a transparent squashed sphere. When I cull back faces in VisAD (by modifying VisAD) I loose quite a few faces altogether.
Just guessing here ...
So maybe the triangulation is yielding reversed face normals? But why would that cause a problem with transparency ? Maybe I am getting both front and back faces superimposed in some places ... hence the 2x.
Help ?
Thanks, Michael

address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
"There's someone in my head, but it's not me"    Roger Waters